Dairy Free, Vegan
Bircher muesli is one of my favourite go to breakfasts. Although it needs to be prepared the night before, it’s very quick and well worth it the next morning! The thought that you have a bowl of delicious creamy bircher waiting for you will get you springing out of bed for breakie (well, maybe).
This bircher is packed with fibre, omega 3 essential fats (from the chia seeds) and is great for your digestion, hair and skin. I promise, one bowl will keep you satisfied and feeling full until lunch time!
- 1 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons coconut flakes
- 4 tablespoons raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 500 mls organic coconut water
- 6 tablespoons coconut yogurt (such as Coyo)
- 1 pear, skin on, sliced
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds.
- 1 – 2 teaspoons organic coconut sugar (if you need some extra sweetness, coconut sugar is a good low GI option).
- Additional toppings – chopped dried fruit, goji berries, extra nuts and fresh fruit.
- Combine the oats, coconut flakes and coconut water in a large mixing bowl. Cover and leave to soak in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, mix in the chia seeds approximately 5 minutes before serving. If you are adding coconut sugar, add it here. Add extra coconut water if you want to achieve a thinner consistency.
- Divide the bircher mixture evenly between two breakfast bowls.
- Top with the coconut yoghurt, walnuts and pear slices (and any other extra toppings you like).
- Enjoy! x
Simple Swaps – You can make some of these simple swaps depending on your taste preferences and dietary needs.
- Coconut Water – can be substituted with unsweetened almond milk or freshly squeezed apple or orange juice, to keep lactose free and vegan. If you are not vegan or lactose intolerant, you can swap the coconut water with low fat milk, or ½ milk and ½ yogurt of your choice.
- Walnuts – swap for any nuts, ensuring they are raw and have no added salt. Avoid cashews and pistachios to keep fructose friendly.
- Pear – swap pear for a fructose friendly fruit, for example banana, blueberry, raspberry, strawberries or passion-fruit.
- For breakie on the run, transfer the mixture into a sealed jar and sprinkle toppings – works just as well!