This healthier take on apple crumble is the perfect comfort food and works well for dessert or breakfast.
- 1 1/4 cups 100% apple juice (no added sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- zest from 1/2 orange
- 5 medium apples (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 teaspoon stevia (or another sugar alternative)
- Pinch Himalayan rock salt
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan forced).
- Cut the washed apples into squares with the skin left on, ensuring the core is discarded.
- Combine the apples, apple juice, vanilla, cinnamon and orange zest into a large pot.
- Cook over a medium heat for about 30 minutes – stirring occasionally until the apples have completely softened and collapsed. Place to the side while you make the crumble.
- To make the crumble combine the almond meal, oats, coconut flakes, maple syrup, vanilla essence, cinnamon, coconut oil, macadamia, stevia and salt in a food processor. Process for a few seconds or until mixture is combined and nice and crumbly.
- Pour the apple mixture into a suitable sized baking dish.
- Scatter then smooth the crumble over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the crumble is perfectly golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve alone or with your choice of yoghurt, ice-cream or sorbet.
- Enjoy x