This dishes combo of salmon, quinoa, egg and vegetables yields it highly nutritious; containing protein, essential fatty acids, anti-oxidants, vitamin A, a range of B vitamins, as well as calcium, phosphorus and potassium – vital ingredients for a healthy balanced diet.
For those with allergies or dietary requirements, its gluten-free, high protein and low sodium to boot. Serve with a side of steamed greens for an added serve of veg for the day.
Serves 6. Approx 734 kjs per serve
Prep time: 15-20 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes
Gluten free, High protein, low sodium
- 1/3 cup white quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & sliced thinly
- 8 free range eggs
- 100 grams reduced fat feta, crumbled
- 100 grams smoked salmon, torn roughly
- 2 large zucchinis, trimmed, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons fine lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking tin, then line with baking paper.
- Place quinoa and ¾ cup water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 12 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed all water. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- Boil water in a small saucepan and then steam the sweet potato slices for 5-10 minutes until they have softened slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs and feta in a large bowl. Stir through quinoa along with the zucchini, fresh herbs and lemon zest.
- Layer the bottom of the baking dish with the sliced sweet potato then pour the egg and vegetable mixture over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until frittata sets and surface is puffy and golden.
- Cut frittata into slices and serve warm or cold with a green side salad.