It’s soup season and this roasted sweet potato, carrot and coriander soup is one of the best. This spiced soup will warm you up on a cold day and more than satisfy those taste buds. For those with dietary preferences it’s gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free (without the topping). The gorgeous plates are c/o my Mumma x
- 700g sweet potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 litre gluten-free vegetable stock
- ½ cup dried red lentils
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt or reduced fat sour cream
- A handful of fresh coriander to garnish
- 1 -2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of Himalayan rock salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Rinse then drain the lentils and set aside.
- Peel the carrot and sweet potato and chop into medium sized pieces. Place on an oven tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through, and nicely browned.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan at medium to high heat, add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is transparent and slightly browned.
- Add the vegetable stock, spices and lentils and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a low heat and add the roasted sweet potato and carrot. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until the lentils have softened.
- Allow to cool slightly then use a stick blender to process until smooth. If the soup is too thick for your preference add a little water and re-blend until your ideal texture is achieved.
- Divide the soup evenly between four bowls and top with sour cream or yogurt and garnish with the fresh coriander.
- Enjoy x