Looking for some dinner inspo tonight? This recipe is for you! Although typically considered a wholegrain, quinoa is in fact a seed. These tiny, gluten-free seeds are a complete protein, containing all the 9 essential amino acids the body needs for repair. Indeed, one cup of uncooked quinoa provides 24 grams of protein. The cashews are rich in vitamin E and a good source of minerals, particularly magnesium and zinc. Teamed with the chicken breast and fresh herbs, you have yourself a nutritious and delicious well-rounded meal. This is one of my absolute all time favourite dinner dishes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 500g chicken breast fillets, fat trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 3cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 2-3 long red chillies, seeded, roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 4 eschalots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tamari
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. lime juice, plus fresh lime wedges to serve
- 1 cup reduced fat coconut milk
- 1 and a 1/4 cups quinoa
- Mixed green salad to serve
- Place chopped chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add the tamari, garlic and ginger and stir until combined. Cover with glad wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Blend cashews in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (do not pulse until a paste forms). Transfer to a bowl.
- Place the chilli, coriander and eschalots in the food processor and pulse until a thick paste forms.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the cashews and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden. Add chilli, coriander and eschalot paste and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice and coconut milk to the pan. Mix until well combined and then bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Cover and place to the side while you brown the chicken.
- Brown the chicken in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium height until cooked through and nicely browned. Reduce heat and pour the cashew and eschalot sauce over the chicken. Stir gently until the chicken is evenly covered. Set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Divide quinoa evenly between four bowls and top with the cashew chicken.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges or fresh coriander leaves and a side green salad.
- Enjoy! x