Bite into these deliciously chewy ANZAC biscuits this long weekend with the comfort that you’re munching on a healthier, lower GI version of the national classic. The addition of oats to the mix brings a great source of soluble fibre that will leave you feeling satisfied and fuller for longer. Serve with tea for best benefits. Most importantly, spare a thought this weekend for those who fought for us.
Makes 14 biscuits
- 1 ¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup plain wholemeal flour
- ½ cup desiccated coconut or coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup rice bran oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted almonds or macadamias
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence or powder
- 3 tbsp. water
- Pinch Himalayan rock salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the rolled oats, flour, coconut, almonds, salt and baking powder in a food processor and blitz until well combined.
- Add the maple syrup, oil, vanilla and water to the processor and blitz again until well combined.
- Measure approximately a tablespoon of mixture per biscuit and drop onto the baking tray. Ensure you leave space between each biscuit, as they will spread. Flatten each biscuit slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Leave to cool completely before serving.