Shredded Mexican Chicken
- 1.6 grams organic whole chicken
- 700 grams canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 grams corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste – salt reduced
- 4oo grams canned diced tomatoes – salt reduced
- 1 cup reduced salt chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1 avocado, chopped into squares
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped into squares
- 150 grams cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 spring onion, sliced thinly
- A pinch of pink Himalayan rock salt
- Trim all visible fat from the chicken.
- Combine beans, onion, garlic, corn kernels, tomato paste and diced tomatoes, stock and spices in a large slow cooker (5 litre capacity).
- Place the chicken on top and cover with the slow cooker lid.
- Cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours).
- Remove chicken, discard skin and bones and shred the chicken meat.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and cover and cook on low for another 15-20 minutes.
- To make the salsa, gently combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve the chicken mixture topped with salsa, and a dollop of Greek yoghurt or low fat sour cream. Enjoy x